Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I'm Back Baby!

So sorry for the super extended absence guys. I started doing this live video game show at the UCB, and that kind of sucked in all the time I have. But now I have a good handle on that show and should be back to a regular schedule. Yay!

So, I guess I'll recap all the movies I saw that I never talked about. Here we go. Oh, some of them are older movies, but I just got around to seeing them.

Tropic Thunder: Way funnier than I thought, although Tom Cruise's cameo didn't make me laugh. I don't know why. It definitely should have. I loved his fat fingers. Robert Downey Jr. continues to be a god among us. We probably don't deserve him. In fact, we definitely don't deserve him. Jack Black was a waste.

Man on Wire: Do you like being blown away? Do you like feeling alive and engaged? Do you like laughing through tears and feeling like the world is bigger and better and more complicated than it was two hours ago? Then go see this fucking movie. Probably one of the most engaging movies I've seen this year.

Inside: Do you like feeling the opposite of everything I described earlier? Then go see this movie! Ok, this is a French slasher movie about a pregnant woman who is being chased by a crazy older woman who, get this guys, wants to cut the baby out and keep for herself! Wacky! Wait, no, it's not. It's super cringe inducing. Like, close your eyes, hope its over, why do i do this to myself, cringe inducing. But... it's really well made. And effective. It's what Hostel tried to be failed miserably. So, I'm saying this. Don't ever ever see it, just so you can't point any fingers at me if you do end up seeing it. But, if you have a strong stomach and wanna get the shit scared outta you... actually, don't see it.

Pineapple Express: Decent first half, but then the second half really let me down. I get that the gag is that the movie gets super violent. I get it. But does it have to be super violent for this long? How many bashed in faces do I need to see? Oh, if you want to see a movie that will shake you to your core, see David Gordon Green's first movie, George Washington. Just thinking about that movie sends a chill down my spine. Devastating. It will ruin you. Watch it right now.

They Live: This movie is awesome. It's the perfect mix of intentional and unintentional kitsch. And it's got a great over the top plotline involving Reaganomics and 80's paranoia. And it's got a great ending. And it's got a very slow and very long knock drag out between Keith David and Rowdy Roddy Piper that is more realistic than most move fights. Oh, and it's got Rowdy Roddy Piper in it, and he's all out of bubblegum.

Them: Another French horror movie, this one exactly like The Strangers, which came out earlier this summer. Its got a better ending than The Strangers, but there's really no need to see this movie.

So those are all the movies I can think of right now that I missed... Like I said, I had been focusing on video games for a bit. Oh, have you guys played Braid? You must!

I may blog again later this afternoon. Ha yeah!

9 comments:

CJ said...

I was just about ready to give up on you. Glad you're back.

CJ said...

Just heard on the vlr that you're gonna be on SNL tomorrow night. Congratulations.

Nora Rocket said...

I stayed up past my bedtime to see you on the teevee, on the EssEnEl, and it was TOTALLY awesome.

Unknown said...

Tropic Thunder wasn't as funny as I though it would be they gave away there best jokes in the advertisements and the behind the scenes stuff. I can't believe you just saw They Live it is one of the best movies ever made and Rowdy Roddy Piper is the best! Haven't seen Pineapple Express, but have you seen Step Brothers it beats everything ever made hands down!

CJ said...

So much for being back. *sigh*

MMR said...

yeah, you're not "back." You're a "liar."

CJ said...

Now that you're back you've been gone longer than ever.

Lae said...

nice blog, what about link exchange with my one?
http://www.toofunnyplace.com
let me know via comments...
cheers

Rick Bruner said...

And...I guess it just didn't take after all. At least we have Twitter!